Support during Cost-of-Living Crisis

Some of us think of Farnham as being an affluent town with its residents not affected by the Cost-of-Living Crisis, but nothing could be further from the truth. There are a significant number of households in Farnham that are currently living in financial difficulty, with the rising cost of living having a material impact on their quality of life. Such as finding it harder to keep their home warm and comfortable or having to eat lower quality food or feeling less able to participate in social activities. Some households have even cut back at some point on the number of meals they eat, while many have been less able to take part in some form of physical activity.

These impacts are particularly concerning, so we have listed here some of the help and support that is available.

Citizens Advice Waverley

Citizens Advice Waverley offers a range of free, impartial and confidential advice, offering help with crisis support, debt relief and fuel poverty. They offer advice over phone and in person by appointment.

Tel: 0808 2787 980

 Discretionary Housing Payment

This is a payment that Waverley Borough Council can consider awarding if there is a gap between the amount of rent a resident has to pay and the amount of housing benefit or Local Housing Allowance or Universal Credit they receive, for whatever reason. They can consider awarding a Discretionary Housing Payment if there is gap between the amount of rent you must pay and the amount of housing benefit / Local Housing Allowance or Universal Credit you receive.

DHP can top-up housing benefit, but the total amount cannot be more than you pay in rent.
Find out more about the Discretionary Housing Payment and how to apply

Universal Credit

If you need help with rent or living expenses, then you may qualify for Universal Credit or other benefits. 

Find out more about Universal Credit on GOV.UK

Help for Households

The Government ‘Help for Households’ campaign explains the different Government schemes available to help with the cost of living, covering new one-off payments and existing benefits and schemes, including income support and help with housing costs.

Help to pay your council rent?

If you’re a council tenant having difficulty making your rent payments, please contact the Housing Team on 01483 523520 to discuss your difficulties. 

See Problems paying your council rent? for more information. 

 Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you with your rent payments if you are eligible and on a low income or not working.  The amount you can get will depend on your household’s income and circumstances. To see if you are eligible and to apply for Housing Benefit.

Waverley Borough Council – How to claim Housing Benefit.

Council Tax support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are unemployed or on a low income and are liable to pay Council Tax for your home. How much you would be entitled to will depend on you and your household’s income and circumstances. If you’re having difficulty making Council Tax payments, please contact the Council Tax team on 01483 523500 to discuss your difficulties.

Farnham Foodbanks

Farnham Foodbank

Tel: 07901 581 539

Website: Farnham Foodbank

Hale Community Centre
A Community Fridge and Cupboard is open Monday to Friday 10am to midday at Hale Community Centre.

Tel: 01252 722362


Share the Post: